Working out of Anō Anō! on Bank Street, Kaitāia we have a new project started up by local timebankers.
Our local op shops send tons of clothing that they can't sell to landfill each year. Aside from this costing them money they'd rather be spending on their worthy causes this is a huge waste of resources, and it just adds to the environmental challenges we face.
Volunteers will be working together to upcycle, repurpose and re-use stock that would otherwise be thrown away.
Sewing expertise not necessary! There are plenty of tasks that don't require it, and you can always come along to learn.
- Creating denim and t-shirt tug toys for dogs just requires a sharp pair of scissors and the ability to knot! Toys created will initially donated to the SPCA/Donna Doolittle's Animal Rescue, and possibly for sale if we make enough!
- Creating cushions for the animals using upcycled tents for the outers and old clothing for stuffing.
- We’ll be making t-shirt bags, produce bags etc for various outlets around town.
- Clothing created/adapted could be sold to raise funds to support the project or be donated back to the op shops to sell.
- buttons and zips etc can be salvaged for re-use and craft projects
- clothing can be cut into patchwork squares, cloth yarn etc if it is beyond wearing.
We'll be meeting on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays from 1-5pm, the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 10-12, and 2nd Saturdays from 11-1 each month at Anō Anō! Drop in for whatever time you can! There's also plenty scope for tasks that can be done at home with materials picked up from, and finished results dropped off at Anō Anō! and the EcoCentre.
We do NOT need any offers of clothing, we have access to way more than we can process! However offers of sewing machines, overlockers, sharp scissors, quick-unpicks, cutting mats, sewing threads, and other sewing notions are very welcome.
Open to non-timebankers too, but obviously they won't earn any timecredits helping out!